Our mom makes some of THE BEST chili I’ve ever had. It has the perfect amount of sweet and spice that makes me drool just thinking about it. When she makes a big pot, I always steal some for the next few days to take to lunch.
Since she’s a chili master, I’ve always been skeptical of making my own or trying a Paleo version (since strict Paleo does not include beans). How could I ever live up to Onda's chili status?!
Well, we did BOTH the other night and it was AMAZE BALLS (yeah I said amaze balls). Austin and I had been craving chili for weeks and finally gave in.
It was too delicious not to share. Not to mention, it won’t spike your blood sugar and has great nutrition from all the veggies.
Here is the list of ingredients:
6 oz of uncured bacon
1 lb of grass fed bison
½ onion diced
2 large carrots
1 bell pepper
1jalapeno finely diced
2 T chili powder
½ T cumin
½ T paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
sea salt and pepper to taste
15 oz can of tomato sauce (no sugar added)
15 oz can of diced tomatoes
½ cup GF chicken broth
1. Heat pot to medium high and add chopped bacon. Stir occasionally until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon onto paper towels.
2. Add chopped onion, carrots, bell pepper, and jalapeno to bacon fat. Cook for 7 minutes.
3. Add bison to veggies and break apart. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add spices and garlic and mix well.
5. Add broth, tomatoes, and sauce and stir.
6. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Stir in bacon OR save some for toppings.